Monday, April 30, 2012

Back in Deutschland


The Beer Fest

It’s been a while since I wrote anything, but it’s been a while since I’ve been in Germany so I took a little break. Why haven’t I been in Germany you ask? Well they conveniently have a 2 month holiday between February and April. I was dubious at first, it means the 2nd semester goes on till July and it just seems odd but now I am a convert. The 2 months off were pretty awesome, went skiing twice then spent 4 weeks in California….pretty good student lifestyle. Plus being in Germany till July could be good. Unlike the flood weather in England, the weather here is glorious, I even got sunburnt on Saturday. You might think sunburn is bad, I think of it as ‘base burn’, something to build my ‘tan’ on.

I don’t have much to say about my holidays, except it was AWESOME. Spending 4 weeks in California was the best decision I’ve probs ever made. It’s a pretty amazing place and I enjoyed the Americanness for a while. I even watched a lot of basketball, big step for someone who really doesn’t care about sports. Ask me about March Madness now and I could probably pretend to know what I’m talking about/copy something that somebody told me. One of the best things about being there was the food; England isn’t amazing at ethnic food and Germany is even worse, so getting to have pretty legit Mexican (not Tex Mex) food, Dim sum, Sushi and lots of other types of food was pretty cool. The portion sized lived up to expectations though so I’ve had to take up running as a way to work it all off.
Me and my actual Tex Mex
As far as Germany is concerned I’m not really sure what to write about, it’s pretty good right now and when I’m not complaining I’m not sure I have much to say. The usually bureaucracy is going on, learning agreements and such. And the usual lack of real work is going on as well. Slightly better this time though, at least I don’t have any collages to make. I still have an issue with the library, I actually need to work up the courage to go in there this semester so I can write an essay, could be a pretty entertaining/frustrating experience. Talking of German experiences I went to a beerfest twice last week. The first time I drank 3 litres of beer, the 2nd time I learnt my lesson. It was great though, lots of Dirndls and Lederhosen and lots of German songs. This one is my favourite by far:
Everyone was dancing on the table to this one. The only downside to the festival was the weight of the glasses. It might be pathetic but I could barely move my hand the next few days after the first time I went. Trying to dance while holding a litre of beer is actually pretty strenuous.  
Too Heavy to open my Eyes apparently

Some people I know here have come up with the idea of having a ‘Mangel an Englisch’ Mai. Basically we’re not supposed to speak/write English to anyone who could potentially converse in German. Potentially this could be a good idea but there’s a good reason I speak to my English speaking friends in English. And it’s something like this:  http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=34625&fb_source=message
We speak in English so that our conversations aren’t total crap. I’m supposed to not watch any English TV/films either but I’m not sure how good Game of Thrones will be in German and I’m not sure if I’m willing to give up watching Game of Thrones to be honest. Anyway we’ll see how it goes, I can already guess that it’ll go pretty badly though. 

2 comments:

  1. The use of the word 'awesome' makes it so obvious you're dating an American.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so Americanized (that's right, I wrote it with a z)

      Delete